Caper Republic

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Portland Trail
hongwei28
#1 Posted : 10 August 2018 06:00:26(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Shaquille O’Neal called himself ”The Big Baryshnikov” and ”The Big Socrates” in his days in the NBA. Now he can add ”The Big Shakespeare.”

The basketball Hall-of-Famer Jaire Alexander Color Rush Jersey , TNT TV analyst, commercial pitchman and onetime rapper is putting poetry on his lengthy resume as part of a new public television series.

He brings his best bard to a dramatic reading of a poem in his episode of the 12-part ”Poetry in America ,” then discusses it with Elisa New, a Harvard English professor who hosts the show.

”I’ve always been into poetry,” O’Neal said in an interview with The Associated Press in a sunlit conference room overlooking the Los Angeles skyline. ”I’ve been writing rhymes all my life.”

”Poetry in America,” distributed by American Public Television and presented by WGBH in Boston, is airing at various times on local public TV stations. Some episodes, including Shaq’s, are already available to stream.

On the show the 46-year-old former All-Star from the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat recites ”Fast Break,” a poem by Edward Hirsch from his 1986 book ”Wild Gratitude.” It describes some very imperfect players who manage to put together a perfect basketball play.

”A hook shot kisses the rim and hangs there, helplessly, but doesn’t drop,” the poem begins http://www.seahawksauthorizedshops.com/authentic-rasheem-green-jersey , ”and for once our gangly starting center boxes out his man.”

O’Neal, whose 350-pound bulk would never be called ”gangly,” still related to the center in the verse, but said he initially missed the poem’s point.

”The first mistake I made was thinking it was about basketball,” he said. ”I read it real quick I said `fast break, shovel passes, sure, this is what I do.”’

He said New, who sat next to O’Neal in the interview and like almost everyone is utterly dwarfed by him, gave him whole new insights that led to a fast friendship.

”When she broke it down intelligently for me, I was very astounded and very amazed,” O’Neal said.

The poem is written for a close friend and playing partner of Hirsch’s who had just died. That’s easy to miss if you skip past the dedication at the top, as most readers do.

”It’s fun that only later as you’re reading Mark Walton Color Rush Jersey , you look back at that dedication,” New said. ”One line can change everything.”

Suddenly it becomes an examination of transcendent moments and human connections.

”It’s about friendship, it’s about caring, it’s about emotions,” O’Neal said. ”I had missed that.”

His latest learning experience took O’Neal’s thoughts back to high school, where he had a 69 percent in English after blowing a test during the basketball playoffs, and needed a 70 to stay eligible for sports.

The teacher allowed him a retest, and suggested a tutor.

”This guy, his name was McDougal, he was a geek, he saved my academic life,” O’Neal said. ”Everybody bullied him in school, except me.”

O’Neal said he took the work and ”broke it down Authentic Isac Lundestrom Jersey , made it seem so simple.”

”I retook the test, got an 80, and we won the state championship,” O’Neal said.

”Now,” he said, ”I always tell kids I’m a geek.”

The professor had another name for him. ”He’s a learner!”

O’Neal partly looked the poet during the interview in a polo shirt and jeans, having traded his basketball sneakers for a pair of slip-on Toms shoes, size 22.

When he wanted them, a company executive told him ”it wouldn’t be worth it to make them in my size unless I bought 500 of them,” O’Neal said. ”I told him to give me 2,000.”

Online: Kevin Durant had 26 points, nine rebounds and six assists, and the Golden State Warriors beat San Antonio 110-97 on Thursday night for a 3-0 series lead over the Spurs Keke Coutee Color Rush Jersey , who were still reeling from the death of Gregg Popovich’s wife, Erin.

Golden State can close the first-round series with a win Sunday afternoon in San Antonio in Game 4.

The Spurs were playing a day after the death of Erin Popovich, who passed away after battling an undisclosed long-term illness. Erin and Gregg Popovich were married four decades and had two children and two grandchildren.

San Antonio did not air a video tribute or hold a moment of silence for Erin in an apparent attempt to make the game as routine as possible for its players, but that was impossible.

Coach Popovich was not in his customary position roaming the sidelines, choosing instead to be with his family. San Antonio assistant Ettore Messina coached the team in Popovich’s place.

76ERS 128, HEAT 108

MIAMI (AP) – A masked Joel Embiid scored 23 points in his postseason debut, Marco Belinelli and Dario Saric each added 21 and Philadelphia beat Miami to take a 2-1 lead in their Eastern Conference first-round series.

Ben Simmons finished with 19 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists for the 76ers, who won for the 18th time in their last 19 games and reclaimed home-court advantage. Embiid went on a personal 7-0 run in the fourth quarter to help Philadelphia extend its lead to 14, and send many in the crowd to the exits.

Goran Dragic scored 23 points for Miami, which got 19 from Justise Winslow and 14 from Josh Richardson.

Game 4 is Saturday afternoon.

PELICANS 119, TRAIL BLAZERS 102

NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Nikola Mirotic scored a career playoff-best 30 points to go with eight rebounds, three steals and a block Adrian Clayborn Color Rush Jersey , and New Orleans beat Portland to take a 3-0 lead in their first-round playoff series.

Anthony Davis had 28 points, 11 rebounds, three steals and two blocks for New Orleans, which can advance past the first round of the playoffs for the first time since 2008 with one more victory.

The 6-foot-10 Mirotic, acquired in a midseason trade after DeMarcus Cousins’ season-ending Achilles tear, made 12 of 15 shots, scoring on everything from quick-release 3-pointers to cutting dunks and fast-break layups.

Damian Lillard scored 20 for Portland, but also missed nine of 14 shots. CJ McCollum scored 22 and Al-Farouq Aminu added 21, but Portland trailed by double digits for most of the first half and all of the second.

Game 4 is Saturday.

Sponsor  

vrathia
#2 Posted : 30 April 2020 23:09:08(UTC)

vrathia
#3 Posted : 04 August 2020 19:37:05(UTC)

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт
Rss Feed  Atom Feed