Caper Republic

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Athletics: LHP Brett
liny195
#1 Posted : 14 August 2018 06:57:33(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Joe Thomas joked about his former coaches Aaron Rodgers Jersey , thanked many of his ex-teammates and playfully referred to himself as a mushroom.

The 10-time Pro Bowl selection commanded the room – and kept his emotions in check – until the final moments of his retirement news conference Monday.

”It is with all of this that I must say goodbye,” Thomas said, his eyes welling with tears. ”Goodbye, not because I’m saying goodbye, but I’m just changing jobs from being your left tackle to being the No. 1 fan of the Cleveland Browns.

”Playing in front of the greatest fans in the NFL was easily the greatest honor of my 11-year career.”

Thomas, the No. 3 pick in the 2007 draft, formally bid farewell in an afternoon celebration at the Browns’ training facility. He was joined by his wife Annie, their three children, longtime agent Peter Schaffer, and several hundred invited guests.

The 6-foot-6, 310-pounder announced the end of his Hall of Fame-caliber run five days earlier, citing the physical toll of starting 167 straight games and playing an NFL-record 10,363 consecutive offensive snaps to begin his career.

Thomas’ ironman streak ended when he tore his left triceps in an Oct. 22 home game against Tennessee, but admitted that thoughts of retirement had entered his mind before the season-ending injury.

”I was in tough shape physically and I was concerned that I wasn’t going to make it through the season,” the three-time Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee said.

”I also was concerned that my performance was going to drop significantly because of what I had to do to get my (ailing) knee ready on Sunday. I wanted people to remember the player that I was on the field.”

The Wisconsin native – and All-American tackle with his beloved Badgers – is one of the best players never to appear in a playoff game. He set the gold standard as the lone offensive lineman in NFL history to be chosen for the Pro Bowl in his first 10 seasons.

Hall of Famers Barry Sanders, Lawrence Taylor Myles Garrett Browns Jersey , Mel Renfro and Merlin Olson are the only other players to accomplish the feat. Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III is confident that Thomas will join them in nearby Canton.

”Five years from now, all of us in this room will make the trek down to Canton to watch Joe as a first-ballot Hall of Famer, which he richly deserves as one of the all-time greats of the league,” Haslam said.

”But first, we’re celebrating him today, and we’ll celebrate it again this year when the number 10,363 goes up in our ring of honor (at FirstEnergy Stadium).”

Haslam, general manager John Dorsey and coach Hue Jackson presented Thomas with a fishing rod embroidered with his familiar No. 73. The city of Cleveland will fete him on July 3 with ”Joe Thomas Day.”

Thomas’ local popularity began on his draft day, when he bypassed a trip to New York in favor of fishing with his father. While on Lake Michigan, he told reporters that his objective was to become a Hall of Famer.

”I knew what I wanted to focus on from day one because I wanted to make sure my goals were as high as they wanted to be,” he said. ”I gave it my all and I never sold myself short. Hopefully, in five years, I’ll be able to think about that a little more.”

Though he hopes to remain with the Browns in some capacity, Thomas plans on moving back to Wisconsin to spend more time with his parents and extended family. His short-term plan is continuing to host a podcast with former Cleveland wide receiver Andrew Hawkins, but he is eager to pursue potential coaching and broadcasting jobs.

Jackson, who warmly embraced Thomas off stage Tremaine Edmunds Jersey Youth , compared him to a fancy sports car and believes he will be successful in whatever field he chooses.

”I don’t know if I’m a Ferrari, maybe more of a beat-up truck like Mater on that show `Cars,”’ Thomas said. ”The main reason I retired was I knew that Hue was going to make the rest of the team jump in the lake with him this year (honoring his vow after a 0-16 season), and I didn’t want to do that.”

NOTE: The Browns sent defensive back C.J. Smith to Seattle for a 2020 conditional seventh-round pick.

Carlos Carrasco glanced briefly at his right elbow, which no longer shows any signs of bruising.

He’s healthy and the Cleveland Indians seem to be getting better and better.

Carrasco returned from the disabled list – and returned to the win column – as Jose Ramirez and Edwin Encarnacion drove in three runs apiece, leading the Indians to their fifth straight victory, 10-4 over the Oakland Athletics on Friday night.

Making his first start since getting smacked with a line drive hit by Minnesota’s Joe Mauer on June 16, Carrasco (9-5) shook off two homers measuring over 900 combined feet in the first two innings. The right-hander struck out seven in 5 1/3 innings and showed minimal rust despite the layoff.

”He gave up a couple of home runs,” said shortstop Francisco Lindor, who stole home and scored three times. ”But, he settled down. He started making pitches. He started attacking guys. Throwing that curveball for a strike. He’s one of the best. He’s very successful when he’s doing those things. I’m glad he’s back.”

The AL Central-leading Indians have won eight straight home games. They improved to an MLB-best 56-21 at Progressive Field since the All-Star break last season.

Matt Olson and Dustin Fowler connected against Carrasco, but A’s couldn’t match Cleveland’s firepower and lost for just the second time in 10 games since June 25.

”They’re a hot-hitting team and when they get on a roll, a lot of good things happen,” A’s manager Bob Melvin said. ”Not only do they hit, they put pressure on you on the bases, as well. That’s why they’re as good as they are.”

Carrasco’s comeback didn’t start ideally as he was quickly in a 2-0 hole.

Fowler connected on his fourth pitch Ty Montgomery Jersey , driving it 467 feet into the lower seats in right for his sixth homer this season and first of his career leading off a game.

Olson opened the second inning with a 438-foot homer into the shrubs in center field, giving him 19 this season and 43 in 157 career games – the fifth-fastest pace in MLB history. Only Rudy York (51), Mark McGwire (49), Gary Sanchez (48) and Ryan Braun (47) have been more prodigious out of the gate than Olson.

But while he struggled to locate his fastball, Carrasco used his curve to keep the A’s off-balance.

Carrasco admitted being a little jittery on a ball hit toward him, but he’s now convinced the time off could help him in the long run.

”You don’t want to go to the DL, miss a couple weeks in there, but at the end of the day, it’s going to be worth it,” he said. ”From now to the last game of the season, I’m just going to go every five days, take care of myself, then we’ll see in the end.”

Oakland closed to 6-4 in the seventh and had the bases loaded with two out. But Neil Ramirez struck out A’s cleanup hitter Khris Davis to end the threat.

The Indians then put it away with four runs in the bottom half, highlighted by Lindor swiping home on the back end of a double steal. With one out, Ramirez broke for second and Lindor waited for catcher Jonathan’s Lucroy’s throw to go through before taking off and scoring with a headfirst slide.

”As soon as I become a runner, I’m trying to score Josh Jackson Jersey ,” Lindor said. ”As soon as I saw him (Lucroy) stand up and see the ball’s rotation, I just took off.”

Carrasco’s season nearly took a dramatic turn for the worst when he was struck by Mauer’s wicked comebacker. Luckily, he escaped with just a bad bruise and manager Terry Francona felt fortunate to have his No. 2 starter back.

”When I saw him, my eyes lit up,” Francona said before the game. ”He’s one of our mainstays.”

RUN, EDWIN, RUN

Encarnacion ignored third-base coach Mike Sarbaugh’s signal to stop and scored on Jason Kipnis‘ RBI single in the second.

It was his only option.

”I was coming hot,” the slugger said with a smile. ”Too late, I couldn’t stop.”

BIG O

The Indians have scored 10 or more runs an AL-high 11 times this season.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Athletics: LHP Brett Anderson (strained shoulder) threw a pregame bullpen session and could be activated this weekend. The 30-year-old has been on the disabled list since May 19.

Indians: Francona said OF Lonnie Chisenhall will miss ”considerable time” with his strained left calf. He was placed on the disabled list Tuesday in Kansas City. Francona said the club should have a better sense of how long Chisenhall will be out once he is seen by team doctors.

UP NEXT

Corey Kluber, who is 7-1 with a 1.60 ERA at home, tries to become the first Cleveland pitcher to win 13 games before the All-Star break since Gaylord Perry (15) in 1974. Oakland’s Edwin Jackson pitched into the seventh and beat the Indians on June 30.

Sponsor  

vrathia
#2 Posted : 01 May 2020 10:19:30(UTC)

vrathia
#3 Posted : 05 August 2020 20:05:06(UTC)

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо
Rss Feed  Atom Feed